There is no doubt that the large town hall window with its view into the courtyard attracted Josef Sudek due to its expressive drapery. Of the remaining photographs there are thirteen negatives of this object or details with views in the courtyard. The series shows the drama surrounding the destruction of the town hall. The drapery, hanging lifelessly out the window, was most likely textile material hung to prevent flying glass in case of an explosion. The view of the window also contains a copy of the sculpture Lumír and the Song (1889–1897) by Josef Václav Myslbek, intended for one of the pylons of Palacký's Bridge (formerly Podskalský's Bridge or Mozart's Bridge). The sculpture is still seen in the town hall at the same location even today.
The window is located on the northern side of the building, quite close to the Gothic tower. It is on the same axis as the grand late Gothic portal dating to the period after 1471, adjacent to the astronomical clock. The entrance hall is behind the portal, decorated with mosaics by Mikoláš Aleš, presenting motifs from Czech national history (Mikoláš Aleš created his designs in 1904 and the mosaic was implemented by Jan Trumpach and Stanislav Ullman in 1935–1938). The window provided a view into a narrow courtyard, behind which stood the Neo-Gothic west-east wing in 1945. The views of the courtyard in Sudek's photographs documents the wreckage and construction of the burned building.
The large window is in the same location today but the original was replaced following the architectural design by Milan Pavlík. It is filled with a 820 x 730 cm large stained glass window made of fused crystal glass by Stanislav Libenský and Jaroslava Brychtová (1981–1990) based on motifs inspired by Mikoláš Aleš. The window can be seen from the north, from the empty vacant site left after the Neo-Gothic extension was pulled down after the May Uprising in 1945.